Below are a list of policy-relevant projects that the CMCR Project has been active in. Please click to get the details of each.
- Winseck, D. Common Carriage and Cultural Policy for the Internet Age. Prepared remarks for the Senate Transportation and Communication Committee’s Review of the Telecommunications, Broadcasting and RadioCommunication Acts. September 18, 2018.
- Klass, B. & Winseck, D. Poor internet for poor people? Why Canada needs better and more affordable mobile services for everyone (A report prepared in consideration of: Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2018-98, “Call for comments—Lower-cost data-only plans for mobile wireless services” (June, 2018).
- Winseck, D. & Klass, B. Website Blocking, Clogging the Pipes, and Crippling Citizens’ Fundamental Communication Rights. CMCRP Submission in response to the Fairplay Coalition’s application for website blocking. Submitted before the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, Application 8663-A182-201800467 to disable on-line access to piracy sites (March 29, 2018).
- Winseck, D. Shattered Mirror, Stunted Vision and Squandered Opportunities: A reply to the Public Policy Forum’s The Shattered Mirror: News, Democracy and Trust in the Digital Age (February 9, 2017).
- Klass, B., Winseck, D., Nanni, M. & McKelvey, F. There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch: Historical and international perspectives on why common carriage should be the cornerstone of communications policy in the Internet age. Submitted before the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-192, Examination of differential pricing practices related to Internet data plans (June 28, 2016)
- From the BDU-Model of TV to Radical Unbundling: Common Carriage & Culture Policy for the Internet Age (June 2016)
- Klass, B. & Winseck, D. Why Bell’s Bid to Buy MTS is Bad News: Report Submitted to the Competition Bureau assessing Bell Canada Enterprises’ proposed bid to acquire Manitoba Telecommunications Services (May 26, 2016)(press release) (executive summary) (full report)
- Winseck, D. Rethinking Universal Service for the 21st Century and an All-IP World. Submitted to the CRTC’s Review of Basic Telecommunications Service (2015-134). Associated filings (replies, appendixes, etc.) by author are here (July 2015-May 2016
- Winseck, D. Mobile Wireless in Canada: Recognizing the Problems and Approaching Solutions. Report presented to the Institute of International Communication Annual Conference (November 2013, revised March 2014). Associated data sets, etc. are here.
- Winseck, D. (2013). Assessing the Effects of the Bell – Astral Acquisition on Media Ownership and Concentration in Canada. Expert evidence prepared for the Public Interest Advocacy Centre and Consumer Association of Canada’s re. Bell Canada Enterprise’s acquisition of Astral Media, CRTC Application 2013-0244-7.